Date(s) - 02/28/2021
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Join us as we explore as our first story circle theme as part of the People’s State of the Union 2021.
Democracy is a dialogue, not a monologue. We invite you this year to take back democracy by joining us in participating in the 7th Annual People’s State of the Union!
The recent attack on the Capitol was a warning shot from our nation’s most hateful legacies. What had been an unbroken string of peaceful transfers of power was forever broken. It couldn’t be more clear that the fights ahead are about democracy itself.
That’s why, this year, we are joining the U.S. Department of Arts of Culture (USDAC) along with MassCreative and The Theater Offensive to offer an invitation to come together, to share our stories and visions for a more just future, and to confront the interlocking crises of systemic racism, eviction, poverty, access to healthcare, and more laid bare by COVID-19. While our communities have suffered this past year, we also believe that our communities hold the keys to our survival.
We will spend the first hour introducing new members to the New Breed organization and principles, discussing current campaigns and going over guidelines for the Story Circle. Then we will invite members to tell three-minute stories assessing the current state of the union by considering the following prompts:
- Tell a resonant story about how you and your community have been affected by events over the past year.
- Tell a resonant story about when the arts played an essential role in your life.
- Tell a resonant story about a time when you creatively connected with someone while remaining socially distanced.
- Tell a resonant story about how you and your community have been affected by the government response to COVID-19.
- Tell a resonant story about the future you envision for all of us this year. What do our communities look like? What has changed?
Event registration is required. Please fill out the form below to register.